Monday, August 06, 2007

DC: The New Frontier Preview



I was going to post a full critique of this, but I'm really tired after going all the way from Springfield to Boston for nothing today (and getting lost on the way home) and in the throes of a post-sugar-rush meltdown, so I'll just post some brief thoughts.

First of all, DC: The New Frontier was one of my favorite graphic novels from DC. I love reading about super-heroes in historic settings (which is one reason I love the Justice Society so much), and I think it's absolutely awesome to see it brought to life in my favorite artistic medium.

For all his faults, in my humble opinion John F. Kennedy was the greatest president of the later 20th century. I really look up to him, and to hear his voice on the video is kind of an experience for me. That's got nothing to do with the movie; I'm just saying.

Every time I see Dan Didio I want to rip his smug face off. That's also got nothing to do with the movie; I'm just saying.

It seems like they've cut the Martian Manhunter from the story, which fills me with dismay. I wouldn't be surprised if they've cut the Suicide Squad, the Challengers of the Unknown, and/or John Henry as well.

But Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman is nothing short of inspired.

I love John Stewart and think he was the right Green Lantern for Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, but it's really good to see Hal Jordan in the animated spotlight for once.

I love the character designs, but the animation itself looks kind of clunky. Maybe I'm just too used to hyperkinetic anime.

All in all, I am really looking forward to this.

No comments: