Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Fine Feathered Fiend

I'm not a Batman fan. I think he's okay, I enjoy a Bat-story once in a while, and I like him when he's in an ensemble like the Justice League, but I never go out of my way to read Batman comics (cartoons and movies are another matter, but you get the gist).

That said, I think he has a fantastic array of villains, quite possibly the greatest rogues' gallery in comics. (I like the Flash's rogues better as characters, but in terms of overall quality they can't compete.) The one big-name Batman villain I've never taken a shine to, though, is the Penguin. He's just a funny little man who likes birds and umbrellas, you know? He's not part of the Arkham crowd: Tim Burton's version aside, he's perfectly sane, which makes him stand out uncomfortably among the likes of the Joker or Two-Face. Depending on the interpretation he's either a gentleman thief or a crooked businessman, which again puts him at odds with the more blatantly murderous Bat-rogues. There's just nothing scary about him whatsoever.

That's what I thought.

And I was wrong.

Click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jiminy Cricket...He is suddenly the creepiest Batman villain ever.