Monday, October 08, 2007

You Learn Something New Every Day

Much to my surprise, I've just learned that fantasy artists Ron Spencer...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...and Terese Nielsen...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...are twin siblings.

Who'd'a thunk?

I have to say I like the latter a mite better. Mr. Spencer is great at depicting action-packed scenes, heroic figures, cool monsters, and attractive people of both sexes, but his artwork often comes off as far too busy, not to mention extremely "kitsch" -- like a poor man's Boris Vallejo, I think. Ms. Nielsen, on the other hand, is good at all those things as well, but her artwork also has a much more realistic, natural, and sometimes sensual feeling, conveying not just action but emotion.

Not that I know anything about real art. *shrug* Just a spontaneous thought.

No comments: